Extraordinary Bodies is putting out a casting call out to find 4 performers who will create and tour our new show ‘Delicate’. You can find a brief outline of the position below. To find out more and to apply, click on the recruitment pack button below. If you would like this information in a different format or if you would like to discuss the role before applying, please contact our Producer, Kate McStraw, on email@example.com. You can also phone her on 07792377106 between 10am and 5pm from Monday to Thursday.
Casting call out outline
In a fragile world, constructed from the resources on hand, performers hide and reveal themselves. They test their bodies and explore the unruliness and imperfections of their human form. They play with discomfort, uncertainty and failure, and find a way to own their unique delicateness. ‘Delicate’ explores how our vulnerabilities make us beautiful in a celebratory experience where fragility becomes strength. Click here to find out more about the show.
The 4 Roles
All ages detailed below are for guidance only. We are more interested in skillset and hearing from people who the work resonates with. We welcome applications from non-binary people for all roles. Extraordinary Bodies is very keen to collaborate with artists that connect with the themes of the show. We will develop the production according to both the artists’ skills and their perspectives.
- Gillian: a 70 year-old former ballet-dancer and circus performer. She is fierce, sharp, resilient and takes no nonsense. She has lived a life of highs and lows and is physical and graceful. Gillian recently lost her life-partner and increasingly interacts with the world through the radio. She has never considered being delicate.
- Andy: a 50 year-old labourer/roofer. He is macho, but recently out of hospital after having fallen from a ladder. He is coming to terms with an uncertain future. Andy is rigid and broken, suddenly delicate and a pub-goer.
- Beth: a 24 year-old character who just left university and is politicised and looking forward in life. She is also on a journey to coming to terms with her disability and her own skin. Beth is sparky, athletic and keeps fit. She is of the iPhone generation. Please note: opportunities for Deaf and disabled performers in circus and theatre continue to fall short of being fully representative. Therefore, we only cast disabled people as disabled characters. Please do not apply if you do not identify as disabled.
- Sam: a female or male-identifying, or non-binary rigger and enabler with presence throughout the show. This is a character in their own right. We need someone with past experience as a rigger, as this person will be responsible for the health and safety of the artists during circus work. There will be some performance element for this character too.
Either £600 + holiday pay per week (plus travel expenses, accommodation and per diems when away from home base) for full weeks, including Development Weeks, Rehearsals, UK Premiere and touring full-week runs.
Or £150 + holiday pay per day (plus expenses) for touring when blocks are less than 4 days in a week.
We calculate holiday pay at a 12.07% rate.
- 3rd February 2022 Deadline for applying.
- Mid-February 2022, date TBC Auditions on Zoom with the Co-Directors. You will be sent a script extract to read and will also take part in a short interview.
Both the rehearsal and tour dates can be found in the recruitment pack here.
Access and inclusion
We value equality and strive to promote diversity at all levels. Extraordinary Bodies welcome and actively seek applications from those currently underrepresented in our workforce and in the arts community, particularly people of colour and disabled people, as defined by the Equality Act of 2010.
We will meet access needs for all company members, including administrative support in applying to Access to Work if relevant. If you have any questions or would like an informal chat about this, get in touch with Kate on firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also phone her on 07792377106 between 10am and 5pm from Monday to Thursday.